SCSU’s Noctua Review is sponsoring a writing contest this year! Granted, the prize money will not be a stack of Benjamins (unless you count 5 as a stack); rather, a check. All the same, a check for $500 will be useful to all but the richest 1% of CSU graduate students.
There are only first prizes in this contest — $500 for Best Short Story (under 3,000 words) and $500 for Best Poem (no line limit). First prize winners will earn publication in the upcoming (Spring 2014) issue of Noctua Review. and be invited to Noctua‘s Spring Reading on the SCSU campus.
1. Contest open to ANY current graduate student at WCSU, ECSU, CCSU, and SCSU — no matter your department.
2. Students are not eligible for both prizes. Students who submit in both categories will be disqualified for both contests.
3. Members of Noctua staff are ineligible for prizes.
4. Submissions should be in 12pt. font, double-spaced (except for poems), and emailed as a PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Your name should not appear anywhere on the submission. In your accompanying message, include your name, your institution, your department, and your student number. For fiction entries, please title your email “Fiction Contest Entry”; for poems, “Poetry Contest Entry”.
6. The two judges (one for poetry; one for fiction) are not affiliated with Noctua Review nor any of the CSUs.
7. Contest deadline: December 15, 2013. Winners will be notified in early 2014.
8. Further questions? Email Will Gardner at email@example.com.